Do you know what are the options for the popular bedroom flooring along with their pros and cons?
There are different kinds of flooring types out there, but choosing the perfect one for the bedroom can be a challenge.
Choosing the right flooring for the bedroom requires careful planning because it will be a part of your intimate routine.
There are so many different options out there, which can make this process overwhelming.
That’s why we are going to look into 5 most popular bedroom flooring available in the market, complete with their greatest strength and possible downsides.
So, what are those options?
A lot of homeowners in America as well as other western countries are into installing carpets in the bedroom.
Carpet is one of the most popular bedroom flooring because of its warm and soft nature. When you are in the room, you will be barefoot.
This makes carpets as the perfect option.
Here are some of the pros:
- Carpet is great for insulation not only sound but also thermal. With carpets, you can be sure that the room will stay warm and also quiet at the same time
- Another reason why you may consider carpet is because of the economical factor. It costs between $2 and $3 for a square foot. However, if you choose the premium and higher-end materials, the price will definitely go up
- Cushioned surface. Carpets are great for kids bedrooms or rooms for the elderly because of the soft and plush feel.
Despite the benefits, the floor has its own flaws.
- Carpet isn’t exactly easy to clean. When you have stains, don’t expect them to be removed easily. It also takes an extra effort to clean it up
- It will also trap allergens or pollens because of the nature of the construction. For some insects or bacteria, the carpet can be a a perfect breeding ground. e
- For some people with chemical sensitivity, carpets can be a great issue. The manufacturer process may trap chemicals. During usage, the carpet may release those chemicals. If you are sensitive to chemicals, this can be dangerous for you.
- Carpets aren’t exactly recyclable so they may end up in the landfill and create pollution.
Hardwood has always been one of the best options for the property because of the durability and the gorgeous finish.
In fact, it is one of the most popular bedroom flooring with natural and gorgeous look. Hardwood exudes warmth and characters it creates a homey feel to it.
On the pros side, there are some best qualities of the floor:
- It has attractive look and design. Hardwood has always been known to be naturally beautiful and gorgeous
- The floor is warmer, more beautiful, and more resilient when compared to stone and tile. You can use throw rugs on the surface and you add comfort to the floor.
- It is long-lasting and durable especially with proper care and maintenance.
- The material is basically recyclable so you won’t have to worry about polluting the environment
- The floor can add value to the property, thanks to the gorgeous finish
- It promotes non-allergenic quality and trait.
The downsides are:
- You will have to deal with tricky and challenging maintenance and care
- The price can be pricey. The premium quality will cost you a fortune
- The surface is tough and hard when compared to carpet or cork flooring
The alternative to hardwood flooring is bamboo floor. Bamboo and hardwood floor have similar benefits and features.
However, bamboo is made from a type of grass while hardwood is from….well, wood.
From pricing factor, bamboo is more economical than hardwood without compromising the quality of the floor.
Cork flooring may not be the most familiar ones, but it has become one of the most popular bedroom flooring for modern setting.
After all, there are so many beneficial feature that you can actually enjoy when you have it at home.
There are several positive outcomes from installing the floor for your house.
- The floor is soft so it is nice to your feet. When you have to stand for a long time, it won’t make your feet tired. In fact, this is another forgiving floor after carpets.
- Not only soft, but the floor is also warm. It has the same cozy quality as the carpet and hardwood.
- The floor has a nice insulation quality. Cork is somewhat spongy and they have millions of air bubbles inside. Because of this quality, cork flooring is great for sound and thermal insulation
- The floor has natural anti microbial and anti-allergy quality. If you have allergies, this would be the perfect floor for you.
Despite all the great perks, the floor has some downside qualities:
- Cork has the similar tag price as hardwood. It isn’t as expensive as hardwood, but it isn’t cheap either. You may have to spend a lot with this flooring
- Cork has shorter lifespan than hardwood. With proper care, you can expect the floor to last up to 25 years, but from the numbers of years alone, it isn’t as long-lasting as hardwood that can last up to more than 50 years or even for good.
The greatest thing about vinyl flooring is the fact that they are available in many forms, such as Luxury Vinyl Flooring, tiles, or sheets.
The floor is versatile you can easily install it in every room n the house and you won’t have to worry about a thing.
Not to mention that they are one of the most popular bedroom flooring that you can have for the bedroom.
Some of the benefits include:
- Waterproof quality. It may not be 100% waterproof, but it has an impressive waterproof quality. That’s why you can install it in kitchens, bathrooms, and also basements.
- Second, the floor is easily maintained and cleaned. You only need a regular broom and a damp mop to do the cleaning.
- The floor has a soft quality that feels nice and plush to your feet. It isn’t as soft as the carpets, but you won’t mind standing on it for a long time.
- It is easily installed and maintained. That’s why it is considered the best floor for DIY projects.
- The floor is also inexpensive. You can actually create a premium feel at home without spending a fortune. You can even choose the LVF that imitates the look of natural materials, like ceramic, stone, or wood.
However, you should be prepared for some of the downsides, such as:
- The floor isn’t exactly the safest option as it may emit gas chemicals. It is possible that it emits VOCs and other dangerous chemicals after it is installed even weeks after it.
- Related to the first downside, the floor isn’t an environmentally friendly one. The floor is made from non-renewable petroleum materials. Not to mention that the manufacturing procedures require too many energies
- The floor isn’t recyclable either. You can’t reuse or recycle it (because of the synthetic materials). As a result, the floor may end up in landfills.
Alternative flooring option to vinyl is the Linoleum. Unlike vinyl, linoleum is made from natural materials, such as linseed oil.
They share almost similar features and benefits, and yet linoleum seems to be greener and friendlier toward the environment.
Be advised, though, that linoleum is costlier than vinyl and the options for design are more limited.
But if you are looking for a green and resilient floor, then you have it.
Laminate is also one of the most popular bedroom flooring options for homeowners.
It is constructed from plastic laminate layer (having design layer) that is bonded to HDF (High-Density Fiberboard) base layer.
And then the floor is topped off with a (clear) wear layer. The material is versatile and it is DIY-friendly.
The positive sides of the floor are:
- The floor is relatively easy to install. It has click and lock mechanism that will make installation easy. But still, you need to prep the surface carefully
- The modern floor comes in various styles, designs, and variants. They are super stylish and chic and you can even have floors imitating the look of the natural wood and even natural stone
- The floor is beautiful with impressive quality, and yet the price is quite affordable. A premium quality floor will cost you not more than $3 a square foot while the installation cost is set between $2 and $8 a square foot. With a total of $10 a square foot, you can enjoy a great quality floor.
Despite all the positive benefits, there are some downsides too:
- The surface can be quite hard, which makes it dangerous for the kids’ rooms
- It isn’t exactly a green product since it is basically plastic
- The floor is difficult to repair. When it is damaged, it would be impossible to fix.
- The floor doesn’t have any insulation feature. It won’t absorb sound or thermal or anything
Those are your options in flooring types for the bedroom.
From these popular bedroom flooring lists, which one suits your needs the best?